Wednesday 25 January 2012

Tamagoyaki 卵焼き

Egg is one of the "must have" dishes on our dining table, and it can be cooked in so many different ways.  Fried omelette, steam egg, stir-fried egg with vegetables, egg flower in soup, sambal egg, hard-boiled egg, half-boiled egg......and the list goes on.  Tamagoyaki is one of my favourite egg dish from a Japanese menu.

Tamagoyaki 卵焼き is a type of japanese-styled "grilled" egg roll.  It is usually made by rolling together several layers of cooked egg, similar concept as the making of kueh lapis.  Using a rectangular omelette pan (makiyakinabe) will make the rolling of the layers o egg easier.

I made a simple dashi tamagoyaki (or dashimaki) with the following ingredients:

4 eggs
1/2 tsp light soy sauce
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp of dashi stock
1 tsp mirin
1/2 tsp sugar (you may skip this if you prefer it more savory)
Add other prefered ingredients (I added seaweed bits)



The cooking process is quite easy and since this is my first attempt in making it, I cooked the egg over low heat and exercised patience in the rolling process to avoid breaking the layer.  It took me about 10 min to make a dashi tamagoyaki.





2 comments:

what do you want said...

Hi, the food look tasty. My gf always wanted to try. However I am unable to find the pan in local. Would you please share with me where can I get? So I can surprise her:) thanks

Please contact me at mysogni@gmail.com if you have read my comment:)

Thanks

Alvin

Sweet Pea Yeo said...

Hi Alvin, I'm so sorry for this super late reply as I have been off the blog for some time. You may already found the pan but in case you have not, you can actually get the pan at Takashimaya and Meidiya.